Belden Universal is seeking an Assembly Technician / Stock Room Assistant for the power transmission industry in Hillside, IL. The ideal candidate for this position is eager to learn and looking to build a career in advanced manufacturing. The position is responsible for final assembly of universal joints and drive assemblies, as well as assisting the Stock Room Manager. Belden Universal’s small but fast-growing size allows for new team members to have significant impact in day-to-day operations from the first days as part of our company.
Belden Universal offers competitive pay commensurate with experience. For full time employees, we offer a benefits package, a 401-K match, 10 paid company holidays and 4 paid personal days per year. Come join us in our newly constructed, air conditioned, clean, and well-organized production facility 12 miles west of downtown Chicago. Belden Universal is growing rapidly and there are significant opportunities for advancement for motivated candidates.
Assembly Technician / Stock Room Assistant Duties:
- Read and interpret schematic drawings, diagrams, blueprints, specifications and work orders in order to determine materials requirements and assembly procedure
- Assembles/processes universal joints and assemblies using hand tools, customized tooling, and/or mechanical equipment.
- Work with close tolerances and fits to meet engineering and operating requirements.
- Accurately provide the information requested on specific forms, reports, and logs. This includes generating or transcribing appropriate words, numbers, or symbols to complete written or computerized forms, reports, or logs.
- Assist Stock Room Manager in organizing, processing, and picking parts for machining and assembly operations
- Drive continuous improvement projects in cooperation with Engineering team, including design and deployment of specialized fixturing and automation of assembly processes
- Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
- Maintains a clean work area.
- May be cross-trained in additional production areas.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with constantly changing parts, tools, materials, and machine methods
- Energized by frequently changing tasks and products – this role is varied and exciting, not repetitive and boring
- Strong Verbal Communication skills
- Intermediate level computer skills and comfortable learning new technology – we will teach you how to use our software-based inventory management system
- Blueprint reading skills required, GD&T training a plus
- Knowledge of and the ability to use a variety of basic hand tools (e.g., wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, riveting machine).
- Knowledge of and ability to apply inspection techniques (e.g., formalized inspection standards, inspection instructions, best practices) and use inspection tools efficiently. The ability to read and use micrometers, functional and cylindrical gauges, comparators, indicator setups, scales.
- Knowledge of how quality impacts the success of the organization including costs to customers, costs of recalls and potential costs due to negative impacts on a company's reputation. This includes taking the necessary steps to ensure quality on a consistent basis and striving for improvement.
- Ability to handle physical, repetitive work and be able to stand on your feet for 8 hours a day.
- Physical ability to lift parts and assemblies up to 50 lbs
- Must have good hand-eye coordination.
- Competent in basic math skills.
- Must be able to read and follow detailed instructions in English.
- Must be able to distinguish between part numbers and sizes.
- Must be able to count and label parts accurately.
- Strong mechanical aptitude is a plus.
- Experience in a CNC metal machining production environment a plus
Founded in the Chicago area in 1939, Belden has grown from a local machine shop to a leading global manufacturer of precision universal joints and drive shaft assemblies. With international reach and reliable quality, Belden serves a variety of industries with standard and custom universal joints and drives any application. Belden's team of professional design engineers and technical sales staff focus on customer needs first, allowing Belden to consistently exceed customer requirements and expectations. Belden’s innovative development capabilities and state-of-the-art equipment position the Company as a clear leader in the mechanical power transmission industry. In 2018, the Company moved into a 40,000 sqft newly built state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Hillside, IL, and is poised for significant growth over the next few years.
For every customer challenge, Belden has a solution. Precisely what you need. Precisely when you need it.
For more information on Belden and job opportunities, please send your resume to:
Belden Tools, Inc. (Human Resources)
4100 Madison Street
Hillside, IL 60162